Financial Resources

Financial Aid

Northwest Indian College administers a broad range of financial aid, scholarships, and work-study programs for students who can demonstrate financial need. The intent of the Financial Aid Program is to assist those students who could not otherwise afford the cost of an education. Currently, the college can assist eligible students with Federal Pell Grants, Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants, Federal Work Study, Washington State Need Grants, State Work Study, tuition waivers, and American Indian College Fund and NWIC Foundation Scholarships. To get an estimate of the costs associated with college, check out the NET PRICE CALCULATOR at the bottom of this page.

How to Start

Students must use the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Apply online at . NWIC’s school code is 021800 . Use the FAFSA on the Web Worksheet to prepare your information.  The Student Aid Report (SAR) will be sent directly to each student by the Department of Education by email or mail. Please review the information on your SAR as soon as possible. A copy of the student’s SAR will be sent to the college within approximately 1 business day of the student receipt. Students can make corrections online using the PIN. Students who have questions regarding the FAFSA may call the Department of Education at 1-800-433-3243 or come into our office.

Each academic year students must apply (or re-apply) for the Pell Grant via the FAFSA and any other types of aid, grants, and opportunities available through the college, the tribes, and the state and federal governments. The need for financial assistance is based on the student’s (and parents for dependent students) income and family size for the previous full calendar year. See the Financial Aid Handbook at the bottom of this page for more information.

Students should complete their FAFSA as soon as their taxes are complete, but no later than May 1 for priority consideration for funds-limited awards such as Washington State Need grant. Students who have complete files by the first day of classes will be able to receive their funding on time, but may not be considered for funds-limited awards. Different scholarships have different deadlines, so be sure to apply early and pay attention to deadlines.

Washington State Aid

State aid such as the Washington College Grant (formerly Washington State Need Grant) and State Work Study are available to students who have established residency in Washington State prior to enrollment at Northwest Indian College. More information is available at

Additional Scholarships

There are many scholarships available to students, but it takes time to find and complete the applications. The NWIC Financial Aid office will send announcements of any new or available scholarship to all students through their NWIC student email address. Students may also check the postings in the Financial Aid office or look for available scholarships here:

NWIC Aid Applications

Students receiving State Aid need to complete a NWIC Financial Aid Data Sheet, found at the bottom of this page. Students need to complete this form once in their NWIC career to select a Directive. If students need to update their Directive, they can update it with a new NWIC Financial Aid Data Sheet. Please make sure to review the Conditions of Award on the second page. The Conditions of Award are emailed to students before each State Aid disbursement.

Satisfactory Academic Progress

All students who receive Financial Aid are required to make satisfactory progress towards the educational program they have selected. See the Financial Aid Handbook for a breakdown of the credit and GPA requirements for satisfactory progress. A review is done at the end of each quarter to ensure that the standards of satisfactory academic progress are being met.

Federal Aid

Each quarter, students who receive federal financial aid must complete at least 67% of their cumulative and quarterly attempted credits and maintain a 2.0 cumulative GPA. This applies to Federal Pell Grant, Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG), and Federal Work Study.

Warning Status: Students who do not meet satisfactory academic progress for federal aid are placed on Warning status for the next quarter. During the warning quarter, eligible students still qualify for aid. A second quarter of unsatisfactory academic progress will result in suspension of aid.

Suspension Status: Students who do not complete the Warning quarter successfully, will have their financial aid funds suspended for the succeeding quarter. Students who have not made satisfactory progress for the year will be suspended from receiving aid. These students may have the right to petition for reinstatement. Students may be advised to enroll for less that full-time, if their records indicate difficulty in completing 12 credits per quarter. Students will again be eligible for aid after completing one quarter that results in a return to Good Standing with their own resources.

State Aid

Each quarter, students who receive state financial aid must maintain a cumulative GPA of 2.0 and complete at least 100% of their credits for which they received state aid. If a student completes less than 100%, but at least 50%, the student is in Warning status. If the student completes less than 50%, they are in Denied status. This applies to Washington State Need Grant, College Bound Scholarship, State Work Study, and Passport to College Scholarship.

Warning Status: Students who complete less than 100% of the credits for which their aid was based on, but more than 50%, are placed in Warning status, and must complete the following quarter in Good Standing.

Denied Status: Students who complete less than 50% of the credits for which their aid was based on, will be placed in Denied status. Students who do not complete a Warning quarter in Good Standing by completing 100% of the credits for which their aid was based on, will also be placed in Denied status. These students may have the right to petition for reinstatement. Students may be advised to enroll for less that full-time, if their records indicate difficulty in completing 12 credits per quarter. Students will again be eligible for aid after completing one quarter that results in a return to Good Standing with their own resources.

Appeals Committee
Any student placed on suspension or in denied status may appeal this decision. Any student who can produce evidence that failure to maintain satisfactory progress was due to special mitigating circumstance (such as illness or death in the immediate family), may appeal for a review of his/her case. The Director of Financial Aid may reinstate the student on a probationary basis, and may impose credit limitations consistent with the student’s history of completion. Students who have more than two successive quarters of non satisfactory academic progress may not appeal and must successfully complete a quarter of at least 6 credits on their own. Students must be able to qualify for good standing upon the completion of their probation or suspension quarter, which may mean enrolling in more than 6 credits

Contact the Financial Aid Office for further instructions and assistance by calling (360) 392-4206 or toll-free at (866) 676-2772 ext. 4206, or emailing us at

Net Price Calculator

File Description  
Financial Aid Handbook 2019-2020 Review your rights and responsibilities as a financial aid recipient.  
Financial Aid Data Sheet 2019-2020 Use this form to release information to a third party, select a directive if receiving Washington state aid, and review conditions of awards.  
Dependent Care Worksheet 2019-2020 Use this form to provide proof of dependent care expenses to increase your budget.  
Budget Modification Request 2019-2020 Use this form to request a modification of your budget based on eligible school expenses to increase your unmet need.  
Change of Circumstance 2019-2020 Use this form to request a recalculation of your estimated family contribution based on special circumstances such as a loss of income, change in household size, marriage/divorce, and etc.  
Authorization for Use of Title IV Funds 2019-2020 Use this form to select if you would like your federal awards applied to prior year balances, NWIC dorm/housing charges, NWIC ELC charges, and etc.  
Appeal for Reinstatement 2019-2020 Use this form to appeal for reinstatement of aid due to non-satisfactory academic progress of federal and/or Washington state aid.